Welcome to DC5G 2019! Settle in and enjoy breakfast, as we prepare to kick off this year’s program!
The conference agenda will facilitate executive-caliber, business-oriented conversations that focus on the real facts, the real implications and the real starting point of 5G implementation. These discussions will be led by diverse groups of speakers from a wide range of industries. Be prepared to walk away with clear actions you can take to build, adopt and/or enable 5G.
Welcome to DC5G 2019! Settle in and enjoy breakfast, as we prepare to kick off this year’s program!
We start with a refresher on the basics. Learn how 5G differs from 4G and also how 5G is a continuation of 4G. The speakers will also explain the expansion of consumer access to 5G services and provide an overview of infrastructure elements needed to build various 5G networks. Breakfast will continue to be served during this presentation.
Welcome to DC5G 2019! As an attendee, you won’t be spending the next two days just listening to panel sessions and keynote speakers — you’ll be creating a real, customized 5G action plan that you can bring back to your organization, outlining realistic steps towards building or implementing next-generation wireless services. The process of creating a plan begins here – with us asking you questions about your 5G expectations. During this opening activity, attendees will participate in a live survey, answering five questions about what they hope to accomplish at DC5G, and what they hope to accomplish by acquiring or investing in 5G services and infrastructure. We’ll review some of the results of these surveys at the end of the activity, and some at the end of the entire program, to see how well our event and our speakers lived up to audience expectations!
You’ve heard a lot of talk about 5G will automate and revolutionize the world. But, what can 5G do specifically for you and your organization? This session is designed to help attendees identify their 5G needs, and then take the first steps in building the business case for a 5G investment. For providers, the session will provide tips on how to better illustrate 5G capabilities and work with customers to meet their specific needs.
– Learn the types of environments, organizations, and people who represent ideal 5G first adopters
– Learn about 5G short- and long-term benefits (How does 5G create new economic growth?)
– Learn how to set realistic goals in your 5G action plan
Take a stretch! Grab some business cards and coffee! Meet your fellow DC5G attendees and compare the first steps of your 5G action plan!
How will innovative healthcare systems use 5G networks to deliver better, faster care to patients and save lives? How will cities use 5G to promote public health and enhance public services, while simultaneously protecting personal privacy? Hear directly from organizations that have completed case studies aimed at answering these questions.
– Learn about health-promoting and life-saving 5G technologies
– Learn about how DHS and law enforcement are utilizing these technologies
– Learn about the privacy issues related to these applications.
Enjoy buffet-style lunch with attendees, speakers, and special guests in the Ritz-Carlton Plaza Ballroom… a perfect opportunity to meet future partners and customers!
Who’s paying to build the 5G network? That’s the million-dollar question for our community. During this session, we’re not going to convince the world about how much taxpayers, businesses, and government should invest in 5G infrastructure. Rather, we’re going to identify the available range of financing options and alternative mechanisms – for those with limited budgets, in search of partners, as well as for those determined to take the DYI approach.
– Learn how to find the right funding model for your city or organization – shared cost, or DYI?
– Learn about government and grant funding, as well as public/private partnerships
– Walk away with a better understanding of the total costs of the network, and who is expected to pay
A quick break before we jump into our next session…
How can 5G “smart building” networks create happier, healthier, and more accommodating work environments? How can they help building owners attract and retain lessees, and most importantly, save on operational costs? This discussion will start with the hard facts – the results of several “small building” case studies gauging benefits and address how quickly and effectively those benefits offset the cost of retrofitting and network implementation.
– Learn how smart, automated systems save on energy and cut down on waste.
– Learn how smart building environments cultivate new revenue generating businesses
– Learn about how smart buildings increase productivity and create happier, healthier workforces.
With the use-case, financing, and smart building sessions behind us, there's plenty of information to digest! Your action plan should be coming along, so take this opportunity to meet with fellow guests who can provide guidance and perhaps, drive new business for your organization!
5G services have already been launched in several test bed cities around the world. Hear testimonials from those who have managed those networks. How did the public interact with those services? What were the main challenges and lessons learned? What advice do these network managers have for those thinking about taking the big step to 5G? This session also gives attendees a chance to ask for guidance on their 5G action plans.
– Hear from speakers who have managed 5G networks in “testbed cities”
– Hear from speakers who operate 5G test networks for their businesses
– Hear from systems integrators who have produced case studies based on “Smart Building” networks
We’ll be announcing our opening day keynote soon! The presentation will be followed by closing remarks from the event chair.
Celebrate the close of an exciting opening day at DC5G with cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and food in the beautiful Ritz-Carlton ballroom!
Recharge for day two of DC5G with continental breakfast and coffee. Settle in for an opening presentation that will help secure and solidify your 5G strategy.
Impress your lawyer with a 5G action plan that works within the reality of your federal, state, and local regulatory framework. We'll review the action plan you’ve been creating throughout the event, and address any legal/regulatory issues that may encounter. Learn how to create a plan B, C, and D, and to expect the unexpected risks.
Sara Neff, with Kilroy Realty, will share what smart buildings can do to illuminate health & environmental impacts of buildings.
Sara took Kilroy from having no sustainability program to being named the #1 publicly traded real estate company on sustainability in North America by GRESB, and under her leadership the company recently committed to becoming the first carbon neutral real estate company in North America by the end of 2020.
DC5G 2019 is going to take a slightly different approach to the network security discussion. Instead of focusing exclusively on hostile threats, we’re going to start with vulnerabilities created naturally by everyday activity on a functional network. First, you’ll learn about the types of devices that will be operating on 5G networks, and how they can be prioritized and managed. Then, we’ll explore how both network users and proactive managers can complement hardware/software in protecting continuously connected 5G networks.
– Learn about the sheer number and range of “devices” that could be operating on a single 5G network
– Learn how those devices will be prioritized, in terms of bandwidth/resource requirements
– Learn how those devices should be protected, as well as how to protect those networks from hostile or vulnerable devices.
It's an action-packed morning, so make sure you take this opportunity to exchange contacts, meet our speakers and guests, and grab that emergency cup of coffee!
It’s a proven fact that traffic congestion impacts the economy, produces waste, drives up physical infrastructure costs, and harms the environment. The same is true for both government and private industry utilizing vehicle fleets for transportation and delivery. This session will reveal the results of case studies that produced fascinating results on how 5G capabilities dramatically improve the ability to manage congested networks and solve problems.
– Learn how 5G networks can manage traffic networks and alleviate congestion for Smart Cities.
– Learn how new capabilities can create efficiencies for businesses with operational fleets.
– Learn how 5G optimized transit networks attract new and young talent to local industries.
Relax and enjoy lunch at the Ritz with colleagues and fellow guests as you prepare for an afternoon that will bring your 5G plans to life!
Our final session is a two-part activity that will explain how to reach out to your initial partners or customers.
Part 1 (1:30 – 2:30): Now that you’ve identified your 5G needs and potential benefits, explored financing options, and learned about ways to mitigate security and legal risks, it is time to connect users with their builders. Who should potential 5G users call first? How can providers engage and assist from the very beginning of the process? How can people on both sides of the table set realistic project timelines and manage expectations? This session will provide valuable guidance on how to shop for partners, important questions to ask during initial meetings, and how to avoid costly mistakes as you begin to execute your 5G plan.
– Learn how to approach and engage with potential 5G infrastructure and service providers (Who do you call first?)
– Learn about your options for implementation – there’s no “one size fits all!”
– Learn how to set realistic timelines and to manage expectations
Part 2: 2:30 p.m. to 3 p.m. – The panel will then dedicate this time to answer your unanswered questions in a rapid-fire format! Survey results from the beginning of the event will also be revealed and the panel will attempt to answer those questions, as well. Finally, our panelists will describe some of the more exciting 5G opportunities and applications coming down the pipe, and leave us with a list of top takeaways for 5G in 2020.